-The group of Organometallic Chemistry and Homogenous Catalysis of the Universitat Jaume I was born in 1999. Since then, eleven Ph.D. Thesis have been defended, ten of which were awarded the ‘Premio extraordinario de doctorado‘ and the last of them is in the process of being evaluated.
-The group has currently five graduate students who are doing a predoctoral training programme. Since our group maintains excellent research collaborations with a number of internationally recognized research groups, all the members who are at the training stage have the possibility to spend research stays abroad. We believe that the mobility of the researchers in the predoctoral period is an important task that we have to strongly encourage.
-During the last decade, the group of Organometallic Chemistry and Homogeneous Catalysis of the Universitat Jaume I, has developed an intense research activity on the chemistry and catalytic applications of N-heterocylic-carbene-based organotransition metal catalysts. In this regard, most of the activity has been devoted to the preparation of new catalysts for the activation of small molecules, paying special attention to processes implying the activation of C-H bonds, carbon dioxide, and reactions implying borrowing-hydrogen methodologies. During the last five years, the group has also devoted some atention to the design of catalysts for tandem catalytic reactions. Several homo- and heterodimetalic complexes have been obtained for this purpose. The use of heterodimetallic complexes of Ir/Rh and Ir/Pd, allowed for studying their activity in catalytic tandem processes in which each metal mediated a mechanistically distinct reaction. As a consequence of this research, the catalytic behaviour of the heterodimetallic species suggested that the two metals are mutually collaborating in the activation of each individual catalytic reaction comprising the tandem sequence. These preliminary results have opened a new and versatile research line which is still far to be fully developed.
-All the members of the groups have a very vast experience in the synthesis, characterization and evaluation of the catalytic properties of organotransition metal complexes.
· Valdes, H., Poyatos, M., Ujaque, G., Peris, E. Experimental and Theoretical Approaches to the Influence of the Addition of Pyrene to a Series of Pd and Ni NHC-Based Complexes: Catalytic Consequences. Chem. Eur. J., 21, (2015) 1578-1588.
· Whittlesey, M. K., Peris, E. Catalytic Hydrodefluorination with Late Transition Metal Complexes. ACS Catal., 4, (2014) 3152-3159.
· Sabater, S., Mata, J. A., Peris, E. Catalyst Enhancement and Recyclability by Immobilization of Metal Complexes onto Graphene Surface by Noncovalent Interactions. ACS Catal., 4, (2014) 2038-2047.
· Mata, J. A., Hahn, F. E., Peris, E. Heterometallic complexes, tandem catalysis and catalytic cooperativity. Chem. Sci., 5, (2014) 1723-1732.
· Gonell, S., Peris, E. Pyrene-Based Mono- and Di-N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligand Complexes of Ruthenium for the Preparation of Mixed Arylated/Alkylated Arylpyridines. ACS Catal., 4, (2014) 2811-2817.
· Sabater, S., Mata, J. A., Peris, E. Hydrodefluorination of carbon–fluorine bonds by the synergistic action of a ruthenium–palladium catalyst. Nat. Commun., 4, (2013) 2553.
· Gonell, S., Poyatos, M., Peris, E. A novel triphenylene-based tris-N-heterocyclic carbene ligand and its unexpected catalytic benefits. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 52, (2013) 7009-7013.
· Segarra, C., Mas-Marzá, E., Benitez, M., Mata, J. A., Peris, E. Unconventional Reactivity of Imidazolylidene Pyridylidene Ligands in Iridium(III) and Rhodium(III) Complexes. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 51, (2012) 10841-10845.
· Sabater, S., Mata, J. A., Peris, E. Dual Catalysis with an IrIII-AuI Heterodimetallic Complex: Reduction of Nitroarenes by Transfer Hydrogenation using Primary Alcohols. Chem. Eur. J., 18, (2012) 6380-6385.
· Poyatos, M., Prades, A., Gonell, S., Gusev, D. G., Peris, E. Imidazolidines as hydride sources for the formation of late transition-metal monohydrides. Chem. Sci., 3, (2012) 1300-1303.
· Prades, A., Poyatos, M., Mata, J. A., Peris, E. Double C-H bond activation of C(sp3)H2 groups for the preparation of complexes with back-to-back bisimidazolinylidenes. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 50, (2011) 7666-7669.
· Azua, A., Sanz, S., Peris, E. Water-Soluble IrIII N-Heterocyclic-Carbene-Based Catalysts for the Reduction of CO2 to Formate by Transfer Hydrogenation and the Deuteration of Arylamines in Water. Chem. Eur. J., 17, (2011) 3963-3967.
· Zanardi, A., Mata, J. A., Peris, E. One-pot preparation of imines from nitroarenes by a tandem process with an Ir-Pd heterodimetallic catalyst. Chem. Eur. J., 16, (2010) 10502-10506.
Recent Research Collaborations:
Our group has active collaborations with the following research groups: Prof. Robert H. Crabtree (Yale University), Prof. Dmitri Gusev (Wilfrid Laurier University-Canada), Prof. Eric Clot (Univ. Montpellier), Prof. Antoine Baceiredo (Univ. Louis Pasteur-Toulouse), Prof. Agustí Lledós (Dpto. Química-UAB), Dra. Elena Fernández (Dpto. Química Física e Inorgánica-URV), Prof. Martin Albrecht (University College Dublin), Prof. Beatriz Royo (Instituto de Tecnologia Biologica e Quimica-Lisboa), Prof. Ekkerhardt Hahn (University of Münster).
Some reference articles:
GRUPO DE QUÍMICA ORGANOMETÁLICA Y CATÁLISIS HOMOGÉNEA (QOMCAT)